What is Technology Integration?
Teachers Integrating Technology Into Their Instructional Practices
A teacher is using technology as part of his or her instruction. Teachers use technology such as projectors, document cameras, web sites, digital videos, interactive whiteboards, and student response systems as part of their lessons. Teachers create digital content for student access from the teacher webpages. This increases student engagement in the lesson and models good technology use skills.
Teachers Integrating Technology Into Student Learning
Students are using technology to enhance their learning. Students use technology such as computers, digital cameras, iPads etc. as part of the subject they are studying. Students are mastering the Technology Applications TEKS (Grades K-8). Students are required to create technology products on a regular basis.
Teaching the Technology Applications TEKS
Classroom teachers are responsible for making sure that students master the Technology Applications TEKS at each grade level (K-8).
NOTE: Subject area TEKS also have technology skills embedded. Grades 9-12 teachers should be reinforcing the technology skills that students learned in grades K-8 as well as teaching the technology skills embedded in their subject area TEKS.
The Technology Applications curriculum is specified as a required enrichment curriculum in Texas Education Code, Section 28.002.
Texas has updated the Technology Application (TA) TEKS and become effective in the 2012-2013 school year. The new TA TEKS are based on the foundations of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). Technology Applications TEKS are divided into grade clusters: K-2 and 3-5 at the elementary level and each grade level at the middle school-6th, 7th and 8th. The High School TEKS will be offered through individual courses that focus on specific technology skills.
Technology Applications, Teacher Standards
- All teachers use technology-related terms, concepts, data input strategies, and ethical practices to make informed decisions aboutcurrent technologies and their applications.
- All teachers identify task requirements, apply search strategies,and use current technology to efficiently acquire, analyze, and evaluate a varietyof electronic information.
- All teachers use task-appropriate tools to synthesize knowledge, create and modify solutions, and evaluate results in a way that supports the work of individuals and groups in problem-solving situations.
- All teachers communicate information in different formats and fordiverse audiences.
- All teachers know how to plan, organize, deliver, and evaluate instruction for all students that incorporates the effective use ofcurrent technology for teaching and integrating the Technology Applications Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) into the curriculum.