The Technology Applications curriculum is specified as a required enrichment curriculum in Texas Education Code, Section 28.002. Texas has updated the Technology Application (TA) TEKS and become effective in the 2012-2013 school year. The new TA TEKS are based on the foundations of the International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). Technology Applications TEKS are divided into grade clusters: K-2 and 3-5 at the elementary level and each grade level at the middle school-6th, 7th and 8th. The High School TEKS will be offered through individual courses that focus on specific technology skills.
Technology Applications, Teacher Standards I-V
- All teachers use technology-related terms, concepts, data input strategies, and ethical practices to make informed decisions about current technologies and their applications.
- All teachers identify task requirements, apply search strategies, and use current technology to efficiently acquire, analyze, and evaluate a variety of electronic information.
- All teachers use task-appropriate tools to synthesize knowledge, create and modify solutions, and evaluate results in a way that supports the work of individuals and groups in problem-solving situations.
- All teachers communicate information in different formats and for diverse audiences.
- All teachers know how to plan, organize, deliver, and evaluate instruction for all students that incorporates the effective use of current technology for teaching and integrating the Technology Applications Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) into the curriculum.